Yarra Ranges Council Storm Recovery Update

From the Shire:
Friday, 4 November 2016

November is typically the time of year where Council begins its preparations for the upcoming fire season, and undertakes inspections on private property to remind landowners to reduce their bushfire risk by removing fire fuels.

But since the October 9 wind event, we acknowledge that this year’s fire preparations will be a challenge for a number of residents.

The storm destroyed 31 homes, damaged countless more, and also spread piles of green waste and tree debris across the municipality.

Council’s bundled branch collection, beginning 28 November, will certainly assist residents to clear small branches and debris, but will not have the capacity to collect larger tree material.

We are asking residents who are struggling to clear their properties of large tree debris to call us on 1300 368 333 to see what other options may be available to assist in these circumstances.

This storm update has been developed with the upcoming fire danger period in mind, providing residents with information to assist them as they continue to clean up their properties in the wake of the October 9 wind event.

Glenn Patterson

Cleaning Up Your Own Property

Have You Considered A Contractor To Assist?

When cleaning up your property, take care when using chainsaws and other equipment, and avoid undertaking work near powerlines.

Please ensure you get appropriate advice if you are planning to manage the cutting and disposal of trees yourself.

If in doubt, call in a specialist. Local contractors are available to remove tree debris from your property, and can be found via the internet or in the classifieds section of local newspapers.

When employing a tree contractor*, you should ensure they have the following:

  • Chainsaw qualifications
  • An understanding of working in proximity to electric powerlines
  • Experience in removing large trees
  • Public Liability Insurance of $20 million.

*Please note, Yarra Ranges Council does not make recommendations for particular contractors on private property, and takes no responsibility, nor accepts any liability, for activities provided by a contractor engaged by a resident.

We recommend you obtain a quote for any tree works to be undertaken on your property. All costs associated with works on private property are the responsibility of the landowner.

Have you spoken with your insurer? If not, give them a call to see if your policy covers you for costs relating to storm clean ups or fallen trees.

Disposing of Tree Debris and Green Waste

Council’s bi-annual bundled branch collection will run from 28 November for six weeks.

Find collection dates for your area – click here

A three cubic metre limit applies for each property through this collection. Branches must be tied with non-plastic string.

If you have large tree debris that can’t be left out for the bundled branch collection, please call Council on 1300 368 333 to discuss what other options may be available to assist you.

Find out what you can leave for collection – click here

Yarra Ranges Transfer Stations

Transfer Stations in the Yarra Ranges will accept green waste for a fee.

Find a transfer station near you – click here

Burning Off

In the lead up to the fire danger period, residents in rural and residential bushland areas may also choose to clean up debris through burning off.

Keep in mind that different Open Air Burning restrictions will apply to different areas. Burning off is also prohibited on Total Fire Ban Days and during the CFA Declared Fire Danger Period.

To avoid complaints to Local Laws, please ensure green waste is not wet when burned, and be mindful of not creating excess smoke.

Learn more about burning off in your area – click here

Have You Checked on Your Neighbour?

Not everyone has the capacity to be able to clean up their properties following large storm events.

If you have a family member, friend or neighbour who has a disability or who is elderly and unable to clean up tree debris themselves, you may like to ask them if they need assistance.